[OSM-talk] Half-mapping

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 17:28:45 BST 2007

On 6/19/07, Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:

> I still don't think unwayed segments are bad. They allow gosmore etc. to
> find shorter routes between places, they clearly indicate that the
> person drawing them is not familiar enough with the area to know where
> the roads start and end etc.

I've tried mapping parks (in pre-yahoo days) by walking as close to
the boundary as possible, and using the GPS trace to flesh out the
area. Some parts were on paths, and some were across open fields or
through trees.

Given that some people think tracing over GPS traces with segments is
OK (despite having no idea what the traces represent), and you think
apps should use unwayed segments to infer roads (instead of, say,
rivers, areas, or political boundaries), I think there would be cars
stuck in trees all over the place.

Uploaded GPS traces are useful for reference and comparison when you
are *otherwise* mapping a given area.

Andy