[OSM-talk] keys

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 4 11:26:52 GMT 2007

Jonas Svensson wrote:
>Sent: 04 March 2007 10:43 AM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-talk] keys
>
>Yesterday I found a bug in my speller that stopped it from fixing
>ways, it only handled nodes and segments (there is a lot of tags on
>those too, many tags that should be on ways only). Anyway now it
>seems to be running and fixing a lot of ways. You are very welcome
>to comment on the wordlist at
><http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:JLS/speller>. I
>believe I got all the keys used in the planet dump. I have set up
>the obvious spelling errors to be fixed but there are a lot of keys
>where I do not know if they are correct or not.

Good to see you are working on obvious spelling errors.

Note though that on the basis there is no such thing as an incorrectly named
element then it may be a little tricky to know what a key should be. I noted
that it says "replace" on the wiki, I think it should be that a new key is
added rather than replaced, the apparently wrong key should not be deleted
as you have no possibility of verifying if anyone is using it in that form.

Adding a new key allows the renderers to show stuff properly while
respecting that someone may be using keys for a custom purpose.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk