[OSM-talk] Modifying the coast line

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri Mar 9 07:47:57 GMT 2007

At 02:37 PM 9/03/2007, Lester Caine wrote:
>OK people, I was up at Lancaster on Tuesday and took a little run round
>between meetings to pick up some main roads round there, including along
>the coast at Morecombe. What should I do where the road goes some
>distance into the sea?

Swim?  :-)

I'm not sure what the final upshot was in the UK is but in Sydney I've imported PGS coastline for the area, checked landsat alignment in the area and then have started wholesale adjusting the coastline to match (in a window of about 50km x 50km seems OK).  Then adjusted manually on a case by case basis so that over time it should converge in.

One thing that has made that all suddenly much faster is advent of (2 meter resolution?) Yahoo imagery with the slippy map editor.  It is superb for correcting coastline manually but systematically.  I know there is no imagery for Morecambe but it might be worth just waiting.

Mike
Manila