[OSM-talk] OSM on your mobile

Tom Higgy higgy at bandnet.org
Sat Mar 17 00:17:21 GMT 2007

Hi folks.

A while ago there was a post[1] to the opengeodata blog showing a photo
of an osmarender render (hmm...) on a mobile.

The application used is TrekBuddy[2], which requires pre-calibrated
image files. The calibration process is what makes things more
difficult, needing to load your tiles, mark various points with the
coordinates, etc.

No longer!

I've written a script (PHP, and currently on my web server only but I'll
see about getting it in SVN at some point) that downloads all the tiles
of a certain zoom level for a particular area, creates a calibration
file and packs it all up into a TAR file.

To have a go visit my map browser[3], choose the area you want and click
'Create!' in the 'TrekBuddy Map' box. Then after a short wait it'll give
you a link to download the .tar file. Save the tar file, copy to your
phone and then in TrekBuddy use the load map option to load it.

That's basically it.

Please report to me any bugs, suggestions, etc, and I'll see what I can do.

Have fun!

[1] http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=149
[2] http://trekbuddy.net/
[3] http://osm.bandnet.org/browse/