[OSM-talk] Duplicate data nodes/segments/ways

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Mar 18 20:22:15 GMT 2007

Hi,

 > I've just run into a problem with duplicate data on an area I'm
working on.
 > I just noticed when I tried to move a node in JOSM which revealed a way
 > including nodes an segments underneath those that were moved. I'm
guessing
 > that maybe this has come about following a failed upload from within
JOSM,
 > it's happened once or twice when the connection to the server as
dropped. My
 > question is... Is there any way to easily find this duplicate information
 > and preferably clean it up too? By easily I mean without having to
manually
 > go through an OSM dump or try moving hundreds nodes to see if anything
 > appears underneath them in JOSM...

Download the area in question, and run maplint on it (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Maplint). This will light up
problems like duplicate nodes or ways.

Then manually correct the problems in JOSM. There is one cool feature in
JOSM which I haven'T fully understood yet. If you select, using the
rectangle selection tool, a number of nodes/segments that are part of a
way, and then hit the delete button, JOSM will *not* delete the selected
items, but only those that are duplicates. (Try for yourself, create
three nodes at the same spot, connect one node to something else,
rectangle-select them, click delete - only the unconnected ones are
deleted.) It is probably not really meant to be a feature but a side
effect, but it works pretty well for such situations. If, however, your
selection contains a full way with all its nodes and segments,
everything is deleted. (Use Undo then.)

I know you had hoped for something easier but that's the best I can come
up with.

Bye
Frederik