[OSM-talk] Maximum segment length?

Scott Walde scott at waldetech.ca
Fri Mar 23 02:53:28 GMT 2007

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Scott Walde wrote:
>

>> Exactly.  That's how our east/west roads are built here.  Our
>> north/south try to follow longitudes, but require correction
>> lines every so often.
>>

> So what if a road heads north-west (diagonal), is it straight on a
> Mercator projection or on a linear lat-lon grid?

Yes.  That's why I noted that I understood the ambiguity then went on to
explain my selfish reasons for wanting it my way.  I drove 250km today
the vast majority of which was SW, so, yes, I understand the problem.
> If a straight road in Ontario goes from (51, -86) to (53, -88),
> does it pass through (52, -87) or not?  If it does, that's a
> straight line in a linear lat-lon grid, but it is a curve in a
> map using Mercator's projection.

Who cares?  That's Ontario.  My province has 185,000km of road, the vast
majority of which are either straight north/south or mercatorly straight
east/west. :-)

ttyl
srw