[OSM-talk] Slippy map - Mapnik layer UK coastlines

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 12:04:45 GMT 2007

>It seems that the UK coastline is beginning to render better in the
Mapnik
>layer of the slippy map (it's a solid blue fill, rather than the odd
shaped
>grey polygons).

>However it does appear that the source for the coastline might be a
rather
>out of date planet file.

I think it would be as well to update the shapefile on a regular basis
(maybe this is being done already). For instance near Warsash (Hampshire)
a coastal footpath disappears into the water. This is because some
lagoon-like salt marsh lakes (is that the right word?) are treated as open
sea rather than inland lakes - so things like this will need correcting.

Nick