[OSM-talk] IMPORTANT!!: YWMS plugin is not allowed.Don't use it.

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Mar 27 21:54:04 BST 2007

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
> Kristian Thy wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 27, Francisco R. Santos wrote:
>>> Scott Regan, from Yahoo, has definitely confirmed us that the YWMS plugin is
>>> not a right way to have Yahoo satellite imagery in JOSM, because of a clause
>>> that prevents us to capture and manipulate the images. As the plugin is
>>> capturing the image, that clause is against its use.
>
> [snip]
>> So, in effect, I'm calling for a moratorium on any use of Yahoo! imagery
>> until the ToU is finalized and published in writing.
> [snip]
>
> for some reason, I had a hunch that we should not be using the imagery
> at all. guess I was right

Look, I know the default way to go on any bug/feature is that someone is
evil or needs a manager... but why not have a _little_ faith in the
people trying to put these things together?

The only problem here is that the WMS Yahoo plugin didn't tag derived
work with something useful. The applet does. In a worst case, nuclear
DEFCON 5 scenario, we can work it out. I should remind all that someone
could have built their own google plugin for josm and be deriving whole
cities as we speak. We have to be prepared for these eventualities /in
any case/.

We all want this Yahoo! imagery, I hope we all appreciate the time and
effort Yahoo! are putting in to this.

I above all people care about the data quality and sanctity. I'm the guy
who doesn't (yet) release the whole database and cares about privacy.
Please flame me in person, mikel and Yahoo! are trying hard to work out
some details, lets give them the space to do that.

have fun,