[OSM-talk] Superways again

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 29 10:45:25 BST 2007

Hi,

>> Which tools in particular? JOSM allows you to create the structure
>> you
>> suggested but I've never tried it myself. Does it render badly?
>
> I know that it is supported by josm, but it is unusable, you can
> not see that
> a segment is part of two or three ways in JOSM.

Here in Karlsruhe we are tagging tram lines using the same segments
we use for roads, *if* the tram is actually using the road (i.e. you
can also drive your car over the tram tracks). We're only using
separate segments for tram lines if the tracks are physically
separate from the road.

IMHO that's the only way to go. We had used separate segments for the
tram line before but that caused all sorts of problems (put them on
the left of the road? or on the right?) and introduced rendering
artifacts at junctions (where joining roads seemed to "cross a tram
line" which wasn't the case).

With current versions of JOSM, some care is required to work with
structures such as these, but once you understand how it works, it is
not too difficult. You can always middle-click on a segment and see
all the ways using that segment; then hold down Ctrl to "freeze" the
popup and select individual ways from it.

I'm sure that will improve with time, but for the time being I am
willing to accept some difficulty in editing if I get correct results
from it - better than creating "wrong" data because it is easier to
edit.

Don't know how the other editors handle that though.

Bye
Frederik