[OSM-talk] Yahoo Aerial Imagery vs. OSM Spirit

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 29 20:54:51 BST 2007

Hi Steve,

> What makes you think yahoo care about any of this? Their hands are tied
> by the agreement(s) made with their imagery providers. It's not like
> Yahoo own this stuff and can do what they like.

Then replace "Yahoo" by "the guys owning the licenses". It doesn't make
a difference for my argument.

> Really, your time is much better spent coding, suggesting a better way,
> getting better imagery...

I think you misunderstood me here. What I was saying that there is a
possibility that using *no* hi-res imagery at all might in fact be
*better* than using the Yahoo imagery in the current situation because
of the side effects.

I was not saying "please guys, shop around for something better as I am
too lazy myself". It is not as if Yahoo imagery has set a mark that we
cannot fall behind; we *have* the option of deciding not to use Yahoo
imagery even if we do not have something better.

You are suggesting that if we were to drop Yahoo we'd need a replace-
ment. This is not the case.

And please don't give me that "we do all the work and you're just
talking" line. I am quite tired of hearing it over and over here on the
list. I am spending a lot of time with OSM and I am naturally concerned
about the direction we're going in. And this direction is not decided by
three or four people but by us contributors together, and one possible
way to form community opinions and decisions is discussing concerns on
the list.

Bye
Frederik