[OSM-talk] Tiles at home tile processing time stats?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Wed May 2 23:35:19 BST 2007

J.D. Schmidt wrote:
> Yes, since different "nodes" (Actually the right word, would be
> T at Hclients) are using different computers, with different specs. If
> your request is rendered by someone using a P3 700 Mhz machine, it
> will be rendered slower, than if it is rendered by T at Hclient on a Core
> Quad 2.6 Ghz processor.
>

> I.E. I'm running 2 Dual-CPU P3 1Ghz boxes, and occasionally have the
> laptop (1 Ghz P3 mobile) running as well. The Dual cpu boxes are
> running 6 clients each, and the laptop anywhere between 3 and 6,
> depending on what I'm doing on the laptop at the moment. A tile can
> take anywhere between 2 minutes to 45 minutes to render the two layers
> done by the client, depending on content in that tile.
>
> There will be a speeded up T at H client committed to SVN in the next
> couple of days, which will cut down the time for the sea/land tiles,
> and I'm also thinking that my personal hack for uploading each layer
> when they are finished will be included. That way you'll have the
> updated map layer available faster, while the updated maplint layer
> will be available a bit later.
>
> J.D. "Dutch" Schmidt

Well, by having 6 clients running on a two processor machine you're
actually blurring the server statistics completely irrelevant.

What you're actually doing is draining the server queue empty "all the
time" - while the tiles are lingering on your local queue until they are
locally processed (well, obviously not on your own queue but on all of
the queues of all the T at H clients).

But that's not my real point.

What I'm asking for is the tile processing time from requesting a tile
until it's up rendered completely on the server - as that's the time the
user is actually interested in.

Regards, ULFL