[OSM-talk] live rendering

Artem Pavlenko artem at mapnik.org
Fri May 4 10:35:21 BST 2007

>> The next stage is to integrate Schuler's DB layout with Mapnik.
>
> This is going to be a bit tricky, since Mapnik (I think) expects a
> much flatter database structure than the Rails port uses.

PostGIS plug-in expects SF for SQL but we can have a specialized
'osm' input plug-in reading less flat, more topological data model.
The key is to make sure that bounding box query runs fast and returns
geometries/attributes in some suitable (for live rendering) format.
I does not have to be WKB.

> I have a
> scheme in mind for mimicking this structure on the fly with a mesh of
> views, rules, and indexes built on procedural functions but I haven't
> tested it and can't yet say how it will perform. Certainly we can
> maintain summary tables with triggers if it comes to that; Christopher
> Schmidt and I have tested this on our own databases and it does work.

Artem Pavlenko
http://mapnik.org