[OSM-talk] JOSM with user list

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue May 8 01:34:12 BST 2007

Hi,

    API 0.4 now returns the "screen name" of the person who last edited
an object.

I have been thinking about how to use that information in JOSM in a
meaningful way, and produced an experimental version that I'd like to
hear some comments on.

This version has an additional dialog very similar to the selection
list, but instead of showing a list of all currently selected objects,
it shows a breakdown of users who were the last to edit an object in the
selected area, with the busiest editors at the top. That gives you an
instant impression of who the "main players" in the selected area are
(of course if you select only one object then you'll see that object's
last editor only).

I am not sure if this is a good idea, or if another representation would
be better (perhaps just show the list on demand from a menu?). I am also
unsure where to go from here; do we want other functionality related to
users (e.g. double click to go to their user page)?

I am also unsure whether all this should rather be part of a "community
plugin" than the JOSM core, but currently I am leaning towards having it
in the core; after all, the "user" attribute is a new core API feature.

Here's the experimental JAR:
http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/josm-with-people.jar

Source for these modifications is not in SVN but available on request.

Bye
Frederik