[OSM-talk] Airport codes

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue May 8 09:51:41 BST 2007

At 11:52 PM 7/05/2007, Scott Walde wrote:
>I've been periodically checking to see if there's any movement on a
>couple of proposed keys that interest me.  In particular the iata and
>icao keys that are proposed on:
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Airports
>They seem to have been forgotten on that page.
>
>I feel they should be added to the existing aeroway=aerodrome tag.  What
>is the procedure for officially suggesting this?
>
>Should I peel them off onto their own page, and then add them to the
>bottom of the proposed keys list?

Scott,

I did read page when you originally advertised it but was not clear on what where specifically new values and what were suggestions on how to use existing values, particularly as sometimes keys are already being de facto used without actually being formally added to the Map Features page (iata=  ?).

So,  yes, I suggest that you break them into smaller groups at least (perhaps one page of new proposed value(s) per tag name) and be clear exactly what you are proposing and why.  That would make voting easier too.  Putting in an Opinion section can't hurt either.  From experience, the closer you get to letting folks make a simple immediate yes/no decision and add a short comment accordingly, the more and better response you will get.  Put links between the separate pages.

Hope that helps!

Mike