[OSM-talk] Announcing name searches for OSM

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue May 8 11:40:19 BST 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions, sent both on the list and privately.

One thing I have felt the need of while doing this is a 'tag editor'. e.g. having looked up München and noticing it doesn't have the English equivalent tag name:en=Munich, it would be nice to just add it. At the moment that means locating it in Potlach or JOSM. Similarly I noticed loads of places which only have place_name not name, so don't show up on the maps - since the search index does find places under place_name it would be nice to jump to the node to edit it.

What I was thinking was that I could put a link on the search result which takes you to a simple non-geographic tag editor - just a form listing the tags for that item, and it let's you add tags or edit the content (obviously needs a login too). This seems like quite a simple thing to do.

Just thought I'd mention it in case such a thing exists or anyone else is working on it. Otherwise I'll get going on this.

David