[OSM-talk] handover of tile.openstreetmap.org

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri May 11 19:32:41 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 12:11 -0600, SteveC wrote:
> Dear all
>
> at the oxford dev day jburgess (whos already done a bunch of things
> with mapnik and osm) and I talked a bit about tile and he was willing
> to take it over. mapnik generation on tile.openstreetmap.org is now
> controlled by jburgess who has many ideas (and more importantly the
> time) for speeding / improving things. So please direct bugs,
> features and comments about all this to him. Thanks Jon!
>
> nick - jon has an account on tile I created (jburgess) and AFAIK has
> the permissions needed to do stuff. Only thing may be a sudo to
> restart apache at some point.
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC | steve at asklater.com | http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Thanks Steve.

Please let me know if you've got any suggested improvements.

I'm already aware of the request to "get stuff rendered as soon as it is
uploaded to the DB". Maybe this is something we'll achieve one day --
but there are many things which would need to be changed in the current
setup and we are not likely to achieve it in the near future.

On my todo list at the moment I've got:

- Fix up the display at low zoom which shows bad tiles off the side of
the map.

- Try implementing real-time re-rendering of the latest planet.osm dump.
I have a script which does this on my home machine but it is unclear if
this will scale up to work successfully with all the users of tile.

	Jon