[OSM-talk] tiles at home 404 handler, and assumed seas

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue May 15 10:40:27 BST 2007

Hi,

(quoting myself quoting myself)

> Scotland being under water in this example means that the following
> idea:
>
>> If I provide you with a list of all level-12 tiles on the earth's
>> surface that are "land" but not covered by a real tile, would you use
>> that to seed your database?
>
> really should be done. It may be true that most of the world is water,
> but still there are about 3.2 million land level-12 tiles and we only
> have data for less than 100k of them, so defaulting to water makes us
> wrong for 3.1 million level-12 tiles ;-) Of course we were even more
> wrong before when we had no water at all, but it was not as obvious!

Sadly I haven't heard back on this issue.

Would someone with a more direct contact to OJW ask him to check his
spam filter, sometimes I feel that everything I mail him is just
ignored... it is of course perfectly ok for people to work on other
things but if they are, access-permission-wise, in a place where
certain things simply don't work without them, then one would at
least hope to receive word of when they will be availble to deal with
a situation...

Meanwhile level-7 tiles were created that showed half of Europe under
water, which I found somewhat less than ideal. With no information on
whether the problem was known to OJW or whether he would want my help
in fixing it, and without write access to the relevant database, I
resorted to creating a list of those level-12 tiles that are "known
land" from Martijn's data, removing all existing tiles from the list,
and then uploading a 67-byte level-12 tile for the remaining tile
areas. I did all this for Europe only, resulting in the upload of
250k tiles (don't worry, they are not stored on the server, each tile
upload is effectively only an INSERT to the empty-tile database with
1000% overhead).

At least Europe should look halfway right again now.

Bye
Frederik