[OSM-talk] Sat nav driver's car hit by train

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed May 16 12:35:53 BST 2007

On 5/16/07, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> The fact that we have no contours on OSM is a problem if a footpath goes
> across the top of a 50mt high cliff. Currently the danger is not visible on
> the map - so the message should be *this data IS incomplete so you use it at
> your own risk*

Humans are equipped with five senses and a brain that is among the
most sophisticated things in nature. A map is by definition incomplete
(what if the roads changed in the last year), people have to look at
what's happening around them.

In particular, signs on the road override anything your satnav says.
You can't blame your satnav for driving the wrong way down a one way
street. It just doesn't work that way.

So while your message is true, it's implicit in any map. It's a flawed
representation, nothing more.

Have a nice day,