[OSM-talk] is_in

Hakan Tandogan hakan at gurkensalat.com
Sat May 19 16:58:46 BST 2007

> HIERARCHY
>
> Is is_in actually hierarchical anyway? Are district level authority
> boundaries always enclosed within regional ones (District, County in the UK
> and whatever equivalents there are elsewhere). For example, currently the
> South Cambridgeshire parliamentary constituency overlaps both Cambridge and
> South Cambridgeshire districts but encloses neither completely. (Not that
> I'm suggesting is_in should record parliamentary consituencies).

I tag my place nodes hierarchially. (Turkey,Istanbul,<suburb>). You
can't infer hierarchy information from the place name alone because you
have multiple cities called München all over Germany.

> LANGUAGE
>
> What language is is_in in? Some people have used English even where it isn't
> natural (...,Germany) rather than (...,Deutschland), others have used the
> native language.

I must admit that I used English for country names (Germany, Turkey,
Cyprus) and the local variant after that, so I'm not really consistent :-)

Regards,
Hakan

--
The Key To Immortality Is First Living A Life Worth Remembering.