[OSM-talk] international name rendering

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Thu May 24 13:14:49 BST 2007

On 24/05/07, Stefan Baebler <stefan at baebler.net> wrote:

> I second the proposal for depreciation.
>
> name (default, local name)+name:LC (language-code specific) seems the way
> to go.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_European_cities_in_different_languages
>
> Stefan
>
> On 5/24/07, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> > > I suggest that we deprecate the use of
> > > # int_name
> > > # nat_name
> > > # reg_name
> > > # loc_name
> > >
> > > As defined in the Wiki here
> > > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:name
> >

> > +1 from me
> >
> > David

I think this would be good for int_name, but...  a couple of points...

1) While int_name might be best replaced by name:language, but, nat_name,
reg_name and loc_name might have some real uses without being alternate
language names... So should these be kept?

2) Should we perhaps suggest that the name key be the default local name,
that name:locallanguage is the same and is also populated and that other
languages follow the name:otherlanguage format? That way we can at least
choose the languages we want specifically without having to in some way work
out what language the name is in if other name:language values exist, with
the ability to fall back to name if no others exist...

3) Rendering name + int_name would be pretty straight forward, how straight
forward would it be to render multiple language names by default? All of
them? That could get very messy...  Just English? Probably not very
internationally friendly... Just the default + English? Probably most useful
without any other clues, but, would definitely require that the name key was
always specified to indicate what the default was...

4) Anyone know of any simple ways to either change all int_name keys in an
area to name:en, or at least clone them all to name:en? I've been mostly
using int_name, just noticed that while I can use JOSM to change the values
across a selection, I can't use it to change the key...

5) Regarding rendering, perhaps we need some way to specify which languages
will get rendered as a key/value, e.g. default_render_langs=fr;de;it;en for
a city in Switzerland, or default_render_langs=zh;zy_py;en for a city in
China... For people doing specific rendering for specific uses, they can
safely ignore that and use whatever languages they want, but, for the
general use rendering by mapnik (which could do with some additional fonts
btw) or t at h (which could do with ensuring a list of fonts are installed), it
could make the default maps more usable from a multiple lingual pov if used
carefully...