[OSM-talk] JOSM to display downloaded area

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 24 22:53:48 BST 2007

Raphaël,

> how about using a per object flag that states if said object can be
> modified (that is, it was in the box)

Could do. Would use a lot of memory though. I don't know how it happens
exactly but I already have to use -Xmx1024m to work with decent bounding
boxes in JOSM. I keep saying to myself that a few 10.000 nodes and
segments should not be a problem but somehow JOSM always manages to full
up all available memory... (Imi suggested on trac to introduce a
function that wipes the undo buffer, that might really help).

(Is there a good way to trace memory allocation in Java, i.e. how much
space occupied by which kinds of objects etc.?)

Martijn,

> Nice idea. Displaying in a different colour would be cool also.

I always hesitate to play around with that because I have no mappaint
experience but I know that many people are using mappaint. How is that
compatible with JOSM itself assigning various colours to nodes depending
on internal state information? Will mappaint not override JOSM's
colouring decision? I really have to install & understand mappaint ;-)

Bye
Frederik