[OSM-talk] A post box called Breuningsweiler

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri May 25 12:31:54 BST 2007

> I'm just been using out-of-copyright 1:25,000 mapping to do a test area of
> input that includes a lot of named POI data (nodes) covering the sort of
> things you see on traditional mapping, such as named farms,
> woods, coppices,
> named cottages and Halls, named collieries and all that sort of stuff.

On a point other than the tagging scheme, this seems a highly error prone
operation to me.

While villages, rivers and peaks will tend still to be here 50 years on,
vast swathes of woodland have been chopped down, very many (most?)
industrial works have closed or changed use. Vast numbers of farms have been
abandoned or consoldated into much larger units.

If we know there's a wood from observation and can get its outline from
satellite data it seems reasonable to get its name from an out of copyright
map, but just taking old map data for a rapidly changing environment seems a
dangerous thing to do to me.

David