[OSM-talk] Main page (www.openstreetmap.org)

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sat May 26 18:53:39 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
>      www.openstreetmap.org drops you right onto the map display at
> the moment - the result of a conscious decision or has someone
> accidentally removed the redirect to the Wiki?
>
> I would like to use this opportunity to revive the discussion about
> the (vastly superior IMHO) three-panel entry page that was floated
> here early this year; the initial design was something like this
>
> http://higgy.bandnet.org/openstreetmap/draft-index3.html
>
> and then someone (Kristian?) improved a bit on that (the page with
> the woman in the dark alley...), but the URL from that posting,
>
> http://www.dyoh.com/osm-draft-index6.html
>
> has reverted to seedy domain parking adverts in the mean time.
>
> Maybe I should not say "revive the discussion" because, as far as I
> remember, we all were of the opinion that we want such a three-panel
> page ASAP, there wasn't, I think, a single voice against - and still
> it somehow hasn't materialised.
>
> May I ask for
>
> 1. a quick review of the layouts proposed - especially the lost
> "woman in alley" version
> 2. a quick decision on which whe like best
> 3. a quick technical feasibility check (I think some versions had
> "our next event..." on them, would that have to be updated manually
> or can it be pulled in from the Wiki?)

3a. Rigorous testing (there was a previous attempt to implement the
three-panel front page but it got thrown out because it hadn't been tested
thoroughly, many of the links didn't work and it didn't flow properly).

We can do without another period of disruption to the site.  Lets try and
show that we can actually do it in a way that when it replaces the front
page it works first time :)

4. fast-track installation of the three-panel start page?