[OSM-talk] is_in

Robert Hart bathterror at gmail.com
Mon May 28 11:02:10 BST 2007

On 27/05/07, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/27/07, Abigail Brady <morwen at evilmagic.org> wrote:
> > On 5/27/07, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Eventually the administrative boundaries will also be in OSM,
> >
> > In the UK this is rather difficult, as the boundaries themselves are
> > claimed as copyright by Ordnance Survey! At best, we'll have to make
> > do with a mixture of known and interpolated boundaries...
>
> Hmm, In the netherlands there tends to be a sign next to the road
> indicating when you enter or leave an area so you can extrapolate the
> areas from there. I'm a bit confused how administrative boundaries can
> be copyright anyone.  Surely the Ordinance Survey didn't make up the
> boundaries themselves?

no, but I think however does, just sits down with the OS map, and
draws them in, then you get sucked into this whole derived data debate
all over again. Its the same with footpaths - if it's on an OS map
then there is a legal right of way, regardless if there is anything
actually visible on the ground.

Rob

--
Robert Hart