[OSM-talk] LU overlay idea

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Mon May 28 20:13:00 BST 2007

Artem,

Good stuff.
Direction arrows look good.

Tubes look promising on a overlay, but becomes problematic if you zoom out as the info then overpowers somewhat.
Can you apply some kind of "transparency" to the info on the overlay?
Can station symbol also get progressively smaller as you zoom out?
Logically shouldn't POIs (like pubs, churches, POs, etc) be on an overlay too? Then they could come in at earlier zooms perhaps.

Incidentally I really don't like the straight line connectors for tubes when in closer zooms. I initially thought they were data spikes!
Difficulty is surveying where they ACTUALLY go.
I would like to apply some cartographic licence and turn the longer straight sections into curved lines.

NB: if you are in the mapnik style sheet could you check the triangle symbol for natural=peak. I have looked at the file and it seems to call it but doesn't display. See: http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=54.45528832724991&lon=-2.8201885053673745&zoom=15 Two peaks are named but symbol doesn't show. Am inputting all major peaks in Lake District from npe at moment.
Also could you check on a previous suggestion for picking up names of schools and universities at zoom 16. Doesn't seem to be activated.

PS: Am trying to get to be able to edit the style where appropriate, so as not to have to make such requests. Have SVN access. Am de-constructing the style file (offline) to see what does what and then just need to have confidence to make changes and submit back to SVN (which doesn't seem to be explained on wiki as far as I can see). An not on Unix so can't test stuff on mapnik for self which is a blow.

Cheers
STEVE