[OSM-talk] international name rendering

Hakan Tandogan hakan at gurkensalat.com
Tue May 29 22:43:56 BST 2007

David Earl wrote:
> some alternate format - perhaps more compact - that javascript can
> understand), which includes label text and icons. (Do it by tile, and take
> zoom into consideration, not try to render from the database, which would be
> chronically slow; and by tile relative pixel coordinates and absolute
> positions).

Those layers would have to be sparsely populated with the default "404"
tile being transparent. The tileGen script would have to dynamically
determine which tilesets for a given location (say, "tile", "maplint",
"placenames-en", "placenames-fr", ...) exist.

Other than that, I completely agree with the multiple layers idea.
Originally, I would have liked the sea tiles to be a seperate layer, too.

Then again, just adding the maplint layer doubled our disk space
requirements, now imagine multiple language layers...

Regards,
Hakan

--
The Key To Immortality Is First Living A Life Worth Remembering.