[OSM-talk] Local WMS server?

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sun Nov 4 23:02:24 GMT 2007

I want to go out mapping using the Surveyor plugin and LiveGPS, both of
which I now have working. However, it would be very helpful in terms of
planning the route and making sure we'd covered roads if, as I was going
along, I could have the NPE maps or other WMS imagery in the background.

However, as far as I can tell, JOSM doesn't really have features to
store downloaded WMS imagery between invocations. (So I'd need to
download it all before we started and hope JOSM didn't crash.)

Is this true? If so, is there another option, like running my own local
WMS server? I don't know much about it, but my naive assumption is that
a personal WMS server would be a directory full of correctly-named
images, a copy of Apache and a fairly simple Perl script. Is that right?

Gerv