[OSM-talk] Local WMS server?

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Mon Nov 5 17:49:54 GMT 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> The latest release of the WMS plugin has (very simple) load and save
> support.

Great work :-) Isn't the Java serialisation API handy? :-)

> In the layer menu, you can right-click the WMS layer to save
> its contents - all images and also the information about manual
> justification you may have made - to a file. This file is not in any
> format recognized by other software, it's a simple serialized Java
> data file.

Of course, on the principle that temporary solutions tend to stick
around, you may want to change this as soon as you find the time. I
don't know.

> JOSM build #345 or later required. Please do not use this feature to
> store Yahoo aerial imagery loaded through the YWMS plugin as this
> would not go down well with them. We might have to find a way for the
> WMS plugin to detect whether you have loaded YWMS data and disable
> saving in that case.

I think that's reasonable. Anyone can do "File | Save As" from their
browser when viewing Yahoo imagery, but that doesn't mean we have to
tweak their tails by providing officially easier ways to do it.

Gerv