[OSM-talk] a poll - would you enter data for commercial mapping companies?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Nov 8 22:14:16 GMT 2007

Here is a poll. It is the first one I have seen on OSM, but I hope it will
get a good range of responses.

If a large commercial mapping company (TeleAtlas, Ordnance Survey, Navteq
etc) offered a high quality on-line service where you could enter
corrections and additions (including new geometry and features) supported by
excellent aerial photography, other resources and recognition would you:

Support them because:

1) Bad maps annoy you and you want them right in your area regardless of
commercial concerns

2) You like the idea of gaining recognition for your work in an area from a
major organisation

3) You get paid a bounty by them for every valid error you find or addition
you make

4) You have completed OSM for your area and are at a loose end

5) You already support them and report errors to TeleAtlas or whoever when
you spot them and aren't about to stop

Or. would you *not* support them because:

6) You have better things to do with your time, like OSM

7) Commercial maps are evil and should die sometime soon and are certainly
not getting any help from you

8) Sod them, they should pay someone to do it

For the record my answer is 5)

Thanks

Peter

Peter Miller