[OSM-talk] Advice needed - dispute regarding names in Cyprus

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Fri Nov 9 14:12:36 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 10:44 +0200, David Janda wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> In the example of the village I am in I now have:
>
> name=Ozanköy
> name:gr=Kazaphani
> name:tr=Ozanköy
> old_name=Kazaphani
> place=village
> is_in=Cyprus
>
> The "problem" as I see it is that the principle name tag is the Turkish name
> which although in use for 30 years will not be acceptable to some ......
>
> Hence the reason why I believe the user keeps changing it.
>
> Also, is_in in Turkish would be Kibris, not Cyprus. What to do about that?
>
> I hate to say this, but it is a sensitive issue and politics are at hand
> here!

in Spain there are some regions with 2 official languages, so to avoid
problems, we've been using the official naming. That is, if the name of
the places/streets are in 2 languages (in lots of places), we use that
as name=, if not just use the one used locally. If someone outside the
village complains, you can just send him/her to the local
authorities :-)
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>