[OSM-talk] Advice needed - dispute regarding names in Cyprus

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 16:36:07 GMT 2007

Talking is exactly the kind of outcome we'd hope to see I think .. nothing wrong with dialogue!

There are many situations like, disputed names and disputed borders, around the world. Bodies like the UN are well aware of all these geographical disputes, but don't publicly release data about these places for fear of sparking diplomatic upset. So these disputes simmer in semi-shadows. Openness is needed!

Why can't the map be a forum for discussion? It would be excellent to see some dialogue come out of this mini edit-war. Any forum is going to attract people who don't agree -- but an open one is especially useful for fostering understanding. I encourage you to get in touch here, and I for one would be eager to hear about how it goes.

Does this mean that talking among Cyprus mappers is going to lead to political settlement or even agreement on names in OSM? I don't expect so. The best result is likely to be agreeing to disagree, and I suppose OSM is going to need to support a solution -- I'd suggest displaying both disputed names.

-Mikel