[OSM-talk] Update: Advice needed - dispute regarding names in Cyprus

David Janda dj at dotcomdave.com
Sun Nov 11 16:27:38 GMT 2007

Hello list

Further to advice given on the list with regard to the above subject, I
wrote to user_7363 with regard to deleting name: tags. The essence of which
was that OSM is used as a navigation tool, and the current names are on
maps, not the Greek ones of 30 years ago. Also that politics should be
avoided on a project such as OSM.

Today, I have received a reply, text follows:

-----------
>From user_7363
Subject Reply
Date Sun Nov 11 15:24:14 +0000 2007
 I am afraid the names you have been using are those of the illegal regime
calling itself the 'TRNC' (which in fact has systematically pursued such a
policy of wiping out the original names - but that is another discussion).
What matters is that you are labelling the various locations with names
which are not recognised as the legal ones under international law. As such
I will continue reverting them back to their (internationally legal)
originals. The fact that satnav companies are doing the same is of no
relevance
-------------

I have been using, for example:

name=Ozanköy
name:el=Kazaphani
name:tr=Ozanköy
name:en=Ozankoy
old_name=Kazaphani
place=village
is_in=Cyprus

This is not acceptable to user_7363 and as a navigational aid, his behaviour
is rendering the project in northern Cyprus pointless.

I ask for further advice and adjudication.

djanda