[OSM-talk] [Fwd: Re: a poll - would you enter data for commercial mapping companies?]

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Nov 11 16:30:53 GMT 2007

Oops, forgot that reply-all again :)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] a poll - would you enter data for commercial
mapping companies?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:07:14 +0000
From: Mark Williams <mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk>
To: Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>

Peter Miller wrote:
> Here is a poll.
>
> 1) Bad maps annoy you and you want them right in your area regardless of
> commercial concerns
>

> 6) You have better things to do with your time, like OSM
>

> 8) Sod them, they should pay someone to do it

So that comes to 15.

I would update Navteq if I could 'cos it bugs me, but would prefer major
effort to go to OSM because in the long run it will be much better; I
now use OSM maps on my Garmin almost exclusively (I have a paid-for
Garmin / OS map as well), and would prefer my own local map to the
Navteq, which is pre-installed in my car.

It costs me £100 every now & then to get a few new errors from Navteq &
lose some old ones, I get OSM updates weekly & free.. In time I will
have no reason to update Navteq at all, even if I could. I just need an
OSM -> Navteq translator.
Actually, if I had a way to write map CD's for my car sat-nav, I would
use that right now, and just keep the old one for 'virgin territory'

I reckon that equates to over 30p a day pay from OSM :)

Mark