[OSM-talk] using the crowd to label OSM

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 13:12:46 GMT 2007

Hi,

For the past couple of months, my current workload doesn't permit me
to travel much, at the same time, most of my immediate neighborhood
and city (Marikina in Metro Manila) is pretty much covered in OSM.

Now, without a GPS I'm using mostly Potlatch, I am trying to
systematically map other areas  around Metro Manila.  Although I am
generally aware on the type of roads within these areas, I do not know
most of the names for the residential roads.

I then thought of asking jeepney drivers
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeepney] to help me with  tagging
streetnames.  These drivers do not know much about mapping or even the
Internet.  So I printed out an area of OSM (the jeepney routes they
travel) and asked a group drivers to label them.

It is really a funny sight watching them argue and discuss on their
mental maps.  In the end, they were able to label most of the streets
I printed in a few minutes, which may take me a few more days of
surveying.

cheers,

maning
--
| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |