[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] OSMF - OSM usage guidelines

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sun Nov 18 11:10:59 GMT 2007

On Sunday 18 Nov 2007 10:49, Nick Black wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2007 10:42 AM, Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> > Dear all
> >
> > One of the results of yesterdays OSMF board meeting is that the board
> > feel it would be useful to have some guidelines for users about
> > interacting with OSM, and things that should be discouraged.
> > Specifically, some things to think about whether good or bad:
> >
> > * Copying data from copyrighted maps
> > * Comparing OSM to copyrighted print maps
> > * Comparing to copyrighted online maps (side by side, or on top)\
>
> Could the Foundation point us at some reasons why we shouldn't do these
> three?
>
> > * Copying data which is derived (copyrighted map says pub on X street,
> > add it to OSM)
>
> No brainer.
>
> > * Asking people living on a street what its name is when there is no
> > road sign.
>
> I'm guessing this is so that hoards of OSM people don't start door
> knocking, which I believe is illegal without a permit in the UK.  Or
> is this because the person you ask might be quoting for a copyrighted
> source?

I think one could tell that though - if they have to look it up on an Ordnance
Survey map that would be the case, but if they don't, it wouldn't. Also
brings up that question about whether the OS hold copyright on people's
learning (if I learnt the name of something on an OS map in 1981, does the OS
still hold copyright on my knowledge of it? I'd presume common sense would
say no)

Nick