[OSM-talk] guidelines?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Nov 19 11:52:12 GMT 2007

Is there already a page for data collection guidelines that we can add to
and comment on? Currently the URL given by SteveC doesn't exist?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Guidelines

Can I suggest we make a clear distinction between guidelines for the
collection of editing of map data, with separate guidelines for the use of
OSM data? I suggest the first are called Data Collection Guidelines, or
Surveying Guidelines, or Guidelines for Contributors.

Regarding the guidelines for the use of OSM data do you think the following
page should be tightened up a bit! Personally I don't thing it is very
helpful. To quote: "What this means to you (and this isn't legal advice) is
basically you can do what you like with the data, so long as you mention the
original creator and anyone else can do the same with anything you produce."

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap_License

This page is more detailed. Is there general agreement on the contents:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Legal_FAQ

With regard to CC-BY-SA, the licence says that the contributors agree to
licence their data under the current licence, and also any derivatives of
the same. So.. If CC-BY-SA 4.0 clarifies what is a derivation and what is a
collection for mapping applications, then we have a route to clarifying more
of the use cases in a satisfactory way. I am not personally clear what the
wikipedia licence does and doesn't allow and if it is also evolving and
clairifying the rough edges, hopefully it will. Anyway, it sounds as though
the licensing things are developing pretty well at the moment.

Should we add guidance about including OSM data on commercial web sites and
pulling tiles of OSM servers?

Regards,

Peter