[OSM-talk] area tags

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Nov 19 14:12:33 GMT 2007

In message <30444.1195480736 at foxharp.boston.ma.us>
        Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:

> thanks for the pointer.  so there's really no "fill_me_in=yes" tag?  :-)

Indeed not. The renderers just know that ways with certain tags
should be rendered as areas - so a way with amenity=school is an
area but a way with highway=trunk is a linear feature.

> since i really wanted a list, without having to enter data by
> hand (i'm surprised such a list doesn't already exist), here's
> the script i used if anyone's interested.  run it on a copy of the
> "Map Features" wiki page source text -- not the html.
>
>     grep IconArea | grep -v IconWay  |
>      sed 's/^|\([^|]*||[^|]*\)||.*/\1/' >areafeatures
>
> it's not perfect, but it's close enough for me, for now.

What are you actually doing with this list? I think most people
here probably thought you just wanted to know how to tag things
but by the sounds of it you really do want a list for some reason?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/