[OSM-talk] area tags

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Mon Nov 19 15:51:55 GMT 2007

tsa wrote:
 > I have been using this area=yes tag in several ocassions for rendering
 > squares, but neither Mapnik nor Osmarender renders them. Just wanting to

oh!  i didn't realize that when alex suggested "area=yes" as a
replacement for my pseudo-suggestion of "fill_me_in=yes" that
there really _is_ an "area=yes" tag.  now i understand what alex
was getting at.

from the description at:
    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:area
it looks as if this tag is intended as an "override" mechanism --
i.e., to force a closed way to be considered an area even if the
normal heuristics wouldn't imply that.  is that correct?  (i
assume that it's an impossibility for an unclosed way to ever be
an area.)

paul