[OSM-talk] post boxes and collection times

Andy Robinson blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:28:47 GMT 2007

On 20/11/2007, Thom Shannon <thom at glow-internet.com> wrote:
> I had an idea yesterday while trying to post something at about 7 in the
> evening. When I've been mapping I've marked on post boxes, but I think
> it could be really useful to label them with collection times.
>
> Obviously I don't want to come up with my own labels in isolation so I'm
> looking for some ideas and input. The boxes I've seen around the centre
> of Liverpool all have a single collection time in the evening. What
> about post boxes near you? Do they have different collection times for
> different days? Does anywhere still have more than one collection a day
> or has that been scrapped? How does the system vary internationally?
>
> What sort of examples are there of this kind of information in OSM, what
> namespaces should we consider?

When I am mapping I take a photo of the plate on the front of the
postbox as it has the box reference number on it. I add these to OSM
but not the collection time. On the majority they now seem to state
the last collection time and I don't think I would want to rely on
anything else these days. A different time is present for Mon-Fri and
for Sat (And a few boxes here and there have a Sun collection).

Thus, I'd use:
last_collection_weekday=17:30
last_collection_saturday=
last_collection_sunday=