[OSM-talk] post boxes and collection times

Freek freek_osm at vanwal.nl
Tue Nov 20 16:43:39 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Thom Shannon wrote:
> What about post boxes near you? Do they have different collection times for
> different days? Does anywhere still have more than one collection a day
> or has that been scrapped? How does the system vary internationally?

In the Netherlands we have "regular" post boxes that get emptied once a day
(say 18h, not sure), some (especially the ones at post offices or agencies)
are emptied later (say 20h).

Furthermore, especially in rural areas, there are small post boxes that get
emptied less than once a day (once a week I think). I thought this is
something that is particularly important, so I've been using my own tag for
this:
post_box:size=small

I deliberately stayed away from mentioning the actual collection times because
a) I don't know them,
b) they may change over time,
c) you should be able to deduce the official collection times from the
combination of operator and post box type (in my case, small versus normal
and perhaps "late-emptied" boxes).

In summary, I'd favour some descriptive type-like tagging, but at least
something that allows one to express that a post box is emptied e.g. once a
week instead of daily.

--
Freek