[OSM-talk] Advanced highway tagging

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 08:40:14 GMT 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 4:03 AM, Andrew MacKinnon <andrewpmk at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I would bet that they actually are derived from some objective
> > > factors; those factors just may not be known or obvious.
> >
> > I'm not so sure. On common printed map, everything seems decided by a
> > cartographer (what to draw, where to put the names, etc.). On online
> > maps this is probably decided roughly by an algorithm but with the
> > addition of manual hinting.
>
> It was precisely this "manual hinting" that I was proposing that we
> add. However, the community seems to think that this should be done
> completely automatically.

There is some manual hinting that is already implemented.  If you add the
tag osmarender:renderName=no to anything then it's name will not get
rendered on the osmarender layer of the slippy map.

I think people object to subjective tags but very specific tags functional
tags seem to be more acceptable  In this case a tag that applies to a
specific instance of a rendering engine for a specific un-ambiguous
purpose,   Its purpose and effect is clear and it is easy to ignore by those
that don't like it.

Tag namespacing is a technique you can use to add information that you (or
your instance of osmarender) can choose to interpret without cluttering or
conflicting with the main namespace.  If what you do is useful others
can/will then adopt it.