[OSM-talk] post boxes and collection times

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 21 23:45:02 GMT 2007

I remember hearing sometime ago that a survey found that a lot of Royal Mail
post boxes were actually emptied (lastly) a considerable amount of time
before the stated last collection time. So your rush to post something in
time could actually be a waste. But hey, we can only tag with when they say
they will make the last collection.

I know they've been phasing out for some time the little physical day
tags(said 'Mon' 'Tues' or whatever) on the postbox they slide in when doing
the last collection so you could tell if you had missed it.

I think the last_collection tag is a good idea, in the UK they generally say
"Last Collection Mon-Fri 6pm" and bellow "A later collection is at 7pm (hour
or 2 later) from blah blah".
Checking on the map to see your nearest postbox is one thing, but then
checking to see if you'll miss the collection and where you have to go
instead is even better.
Hey, if this get's used someone could even do a heatmap of postbox coverage
and collection time?

--
Gregory
nomoregrapes at gmail.com