[OSM-talk] City specific tagging, your views please

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Nov 22 18:37:33 GMT 2007

I kind of do a similar thing (specific tagging) in the New Forest - to
avoid confusion with standard tags, I precede everything with
"newforest_".
For example I use "newforest_pathtype" to describe the different types of
path in the new forest, and "newforest_landuse" to describe some of the
New Forest specific areas of land. I use this on Freemap, which renders
New Forest paths differently to standard footpaths/bridleways.

I also have one or two "freemap_" specific tags which are specific for
Freemap - for example "freemap_note" which I'm intending to use as notes
which will appear on Freemap e.g. user moves over a path and it tells you
anything specific about that path e.g. whether it's really a dead end or
just half unsurveyed.

Nick