[OSM-talk] place=small_town

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sun Nov 25 21:16:38 GMT 2007

On 25/11/2007 19:24, spaetz wrote:
> I am still for using population=10000 (even if it actually might be 11,421), rather than making the world of tags explode. Some renderers will consider 10,000 a big town (e.g. in a rural country) while the map of the municipality of New York (if it exists) might decide to render everything beow 100,000 as suburb.
>
>> There's always a matter of judgement involved, and it isn't solely on
>> population, but at the moment I think the granularity is too coarse.
>
> But population is actually a big part of it. And in order to keep things simple, I vote to use that if you want to distinguish things.

I think maybe the issue of how big somewhere has to be to be called a
town is different from whether there are enough gradations.

It would be nonsense not to call Hay-on-Wye at town, when it probably
wouldn't even be a small_town on population levels alone (under 2,000),
if such a designation was to be used.

OTOH Soham (9,000) might well be a candidate for not being a town.

David