[OSM-talk] Validator Plugin (landuse=forrest+highway=xy)

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Nov 26 13:59:02 GMT 2007

Guenther Meyer <d.s.e at sordidmusic.com> writes:

> if a road crosses a forest or some other areas, there is no problem in sharing
> the entry points.
>
> but when a road goes along the boundary of a forest and shares some or all of
> its nodes you can't actually say where the road actually is.
> is part of the forest, is it beside it? that IS an issue!

This wasn't just about the two nodes where the road crosses the
boundary of the forest. It was about the whole road in the middle of a
forest. There, everybody just assumes that there will be no trees on
the road. And the same is true for a road on the boundary of a forest,
IMHO.

Who is to tell whether a road next to a forest is logically part of
the forest or where the official boundary of the forest is?

So, since I don't know better I use the centerline of the road as
boundary for the forest unless the trees start more than a few meters
from the road. If someone has more accurate data than (s)he can map
the real forest boundary.

Matthias