[OSM-talk] two name roads

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 28 00:46:28 GMT 2007

On 27/11/2007, Minty <mintywalker at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> when a road has two names (or a longer road with one name, also has
> >> parts with different names)...
> >> how'd you do that?
>
> > Or is it some other case?
>
> It's one road [1], with a street sign that says
>
>   <big>Victor Park Terrace</big>
>   <small>Maybank Villas</small>
>
> Although there is another example where a 2 mile stretch of road [2]
> is called Comiston Road, but a 20m sub-stretch is also called
> "Greenbank Terrace".  It's not an A-road, or B-road (although it has
> one as well).   The bit of Comiston Road that is between Greenbank
> Place and Braidburn Terrace is called Greenbank Terrace as well.
>
> It's two names.
>
> [1]
> http://informationfreeway.org/?lat=55.944026559578774&lon=-3.2876903774342408&zoom=16&layers=B000F000
> [2]
> http://informationfreeway.org/?lat=55.920521461072575&lon=-3.2119287180090943&zoom=16&layers=B000F000

Sounds similar then to what I've got in Durham.
With the big and small text, I would guess one is_in the other, seeing other
signs with one of these names would help you know how it works. e.g. is
Victor Park Terrace the road and Maybank Villas something on that road, you
look for 'Victor Park Terrace, Someother Name'.

In Durham though I don't have 1 sign with different size text. It's seperate
signs that look exactly the same. It takes me to see both ends of the road
(with the same name) for me to know some signs are just for a
building/house_name.

--
Gregory
nomoregrapes at gmail.com