[OSM-talk] private vs. non-private items

Daniel Schmidt Daniel at planetschmidt.de
Fri Nov 30 07:32:51 GMT 2007

Am 29.11.2007 um 23:25 schrieb OJW:

> On Thursday 29 November 2007 21:07:03 Robin Paulson wrote:
>> for example: my local council owns car parks for public use, Wilson
>> Parking owns car parks for public use (for a charge), and various
>> companies own car parks for employee use only.
>
> At least mark if car parks are free or not...
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Price_tags
>
> that way we can do "find nearest free car park" to avoid
> disappointment when
> someone arrives at a P to find it costs a lot.

As "Price_tags" mentions, there is also "fee=yes/no".
Giving an exact price is basically a good idea. But when it comes to
parking fees, it seems far too complicated for me, since the price
could vary based on the day of week, holiday, time, duration (first
hour 1 Euro/Pound, second hour 0,60 Euro/Pound etc.) ...

regarding public/private car parks:
Why don't you use the "access" tag? use "access=permissive" if it's a
private car park you can use as a customer (i.e. supermarket car park)
oder "access=private" if you need a special allowance to park (i.e.
employee car park).

Greets,

Wabba