[OSM-talk] highway=unsurfaced

Håkon Enger hakon.enger at fys.uio.no
Mon Oct 1 12:54:26 BST 2007

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> A path is a narrow pedestrian (and perhaps horse and bicycle) route
> typically no more than about three feet across. Typically the surface is
> soil or concrete.
>
> A track is gravel or dirt and is normally wider than about 3 feet, say
> 6feet, it normally has evidence of "rutting" caused by motor traffic.

Ok, so far there's no problem. But I don't understand how this corresponds
to what you said before,

> it would
> be nice to be able to distinguish between paths and tracks. To me
> highway=track implies a private track (no public access at all).

which seems to imply that a track is similar to a path in some sense, but
tracks have no public access (I see you did not mention access in your
definition of track above). But I suppose I misunderstood what you meant
the first time.

   Håkon