[OSM-talk] osmarender and rivers (mapnik too?)

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Oct 1 16:24:10 BST 2007

osmarender5 increased the width of rivers. I'm sure that's OK for ones
like the Danube and the Thames, even just about the Cam through
Cambridge, though even there it's bursting its banks on the rendering in
some places and bridges don't straddle the whole of the river (despite a
certain exaggeration in the length of the bridges). It is way over the
top for ones like the River Goyt in Derbyshire which I've been working
on recently. It _is_ a river IMO, but only perhaps 5m wide at this point.

Rather than repeat the suggestion that it go back to its previous width,
perhaps the discussion about widths of rivers could be resurrected.
Could osmarender (manik too?) be changed to choose either one of several
possible widths or a varying width depending on a width or
estimated_width (or similar) tag if such exists? Then I can reduce some
of the smaller rivers I've done to make better.

Or do they perhaps already do this?

David