[OSM-talk] Is there a tag for electrical substations?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 07:28:10 BST 2007

Archimedeus B wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a tag for electrical substations. I am not sure if this
> is the right translation. In German it is called "Umspannwerk" which is
> technically unprecise but well understood. It looks like this:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Umspannwerk_01_KMJ.jpg
>
> The explanation is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_substation
> If there is no tag, I'd like to propose power=substation for areas and
> nodes. I might invent a symbol later.
>
> This one is bigger than the usual little transformer houses in living
> areas (BTW. how are these tagged?).

There is probably a good case for a set of tags pulling together
Proposed_features/Power_Lines and Proposed_features/Power_plants
The current 'discussion' seems to be about the primary tag for these elements
but the 'way' defining the route of a power line COULD be confusing, however
that just ties up with the problem of drawing any linear element?

I would suggest that the first 'Votes' section of
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Power_Lines needs
pulling out, combining with the power plant proposed tags and put together as
an infrastructure set of tags?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL